Issue 26 | June 2015
The sport-specific visual needs of professional and amateur athletes is an emerging area of specialization. In this edition of Contact Lens Update, Kristine Dalton provides an overview of some fundamental concepts and starting points, and David Mann reviews an article exploring the visual needs of athletes in specific sports (Laby 2011), and we share a scientific poster (Dalton 2014) focusing on the visual characteristics of varsity athletes. Download tips for conducting sports vision assessments in your own practice!
- Editorial - Sports vision in practice?
- Feature Article - The visual function of Olympic-level athletes
- Conference Highlights - Visual characteristics of varsity athletes
- Clinical Insight - Research brief: Assessing the visual needs of patients who are serious about sports
Issue 25 | April 2015
Ocular effects of UV radiation from the sun
The sun’s ultraviolet radiation can impact eye health in a number of ways. In this issue of Contact Lens Update, David McCanna reviews the factors influencing UV exposure as well as its benefits and risks. Learn about the mechanism behind UV damage to the anterior eye in a poster from James Wolffsohn as well as Alan Saks’ review of an article about the same study. Be sure to download our patient handout, which illustrates the potential ocular effects of ultraviolet radiation as well as the most effective ways to protect one’s eyes.
- Editorial - Being “SunSmart”: Finding the right life-light balance
- Feature Article - Conjunctival UV autofluorescence – Prevalence and risk factors: Article review
- Conference Highlights - Conjunctival UV autofluorescence in eye care practitioners
- Clinical Insight - Patient handout: Protecting your eyes from the sun
Issue 24 | February 2015
Meibomian gland dysfunction, blepharitis and Demodex impact a wide range of patients. In this issue of Contact Lens Update, Alisa Sivak poses some questions about how eye care professionals communicate with patients about these conditions, Milton Hom recounts the ways in which he learned to pay more attention to conditions affecting his patients’ eyelids, William Ngo reviews an alternative technique for isolating and viewing Demodex (Mastota 2013) and Etty Bitton shares her experiences in differentiating Demodex from blepharitis. Be sure to look for our patient handout on meibomian gland dysfunction! You will find it within the editorial, along with a short survey requesting your input.
- Editorial - The significance of eyelid conditions for patients
- Feature Article - Identifying Demodex in the eyelash follicle without epilation
- Conference Highlights - A case of mistaken blepharitis identity: staph or demodex?
- Clinical Insight - Meibomian gland disfunction and Demodex: A tale of two mentors
Issue 23 | December 2014
Makeup: Impact on ocular health
What does research show about the effect of cosmetics on the eye? In this edition of Contact Lens Update, Alison Ng explains how it can impact the tear film and meibomian glands, among other concerns; Nadine Furtado reviews a article about the impact of eye cosmetics on ocular comfort (Ng 2012), and we share the highlights of a study examining the impact of cosmetics on contact lens performance. Download our patient handout providing eye makeup tips for people who wear contact lenses!
- Editorial - Makeup and your eyes: friend or foe?
- Feature Article - Eye cosmetic usage and associated ocular comfort
- Conference Highlights - The impact of eye cosmetics on contact lens wear: Lab-based research results
- Clinical Insight - Patient handout: Eye makeup tips for people who wear soft contact lenses