Issue 03 | September 2011
According to the research literature, we've been concerned about how well patients follow guidelines for safe contact lens wear and care for decades. In this edition of Contact Lens Update, Kathy Dumbleton and Lyndon Jones review that literature and outline the risks associated with specific areas of non-compliance; Alisa Sivak reports from the BCLA, with strategies for encouraging compliance; and Pauline Xu reviews a paper (Wu et al. 2011) exploring the best way to clean a contact lens case. Don't forget to check out Healthy Soft Contact Lens Habits, a resource developed by the Association for Optometric Contact Lens Educators.
- Editorial - Non-compliance: so what?
- Feature Article - Contact lens case hygiene: an article review
- Conference Highlights - Strategies for improving patient compliance
- Clinical Insight - Healthy Soft Contact Lens Habits: An AOCLE Resource
Issue 02 | August 2011
Though widely popular, multipurpose contact lens care systems on the market today may not be as effective as we would like, particularly when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting lens cases. In this edition of Contact Lens Update, Mark Willcox explores the efficacy of dual-disinfectant care systems, Doerte Luensmann reviews a paper (Zhao 2010) investigating whether there is a link between adverse events and lens deposits, Gareth Ross clarifies the role of surfactants and other components of lens care systems and Daniel Tilia tells us what can happen when the quest for convenience clashes with lens of choice and recommended lens replacement frequency.
- Editorial - Multipurpose disinfection solutions: New challenges, new products, new ingredients, new tests
- Feature Article - Physiological response to protein and cholesterol deposition on silicone hydrogel contact lenses
- Conference Highlights - Link between cleaning efficacy and physical properties of multipurpose solutions
- Clinical Insight - Matching lens care systems with patients
Issue 01 | May 2011
It seems particularly fitting to launch Contact Lens Update in the 50th anniversary year of soft contact lenses. Our inaugural upload features articles highlighting the past, present and future of contact lenses: a short editorial honouring Otto Wichterle's groundbreaking work and the subsequent development of soft contact lenses; a feature article explaining the evolution of Contact Lens Update and its position in the current landscape of contact lenses; and a poster exploring one facet of the future of soft contact lenses: drug delivery.
- Editorial - A New Beginning Marking the 50th Anniversary of the Soft Contact Lens
- Feature Article - The Evolution of a Website: The Development of Contact Lens Update
- Conference Highlights - Novel Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lens Materials for Ciprofloxacin Drug Delivery